Monday, February 24, 2014

Dancing - Go Figure!


These are two of my favorite figurines. They are dancing to the beat of my Musical Figurines that will be revealed at another time. They just happen to be busy. You know, practice, practice, practice!

Aren't they fun? Made in Japan and with a clover surrounded by a wreath mark on the bottom, these two Figurines are beautifully dressed in Colonial Style Clothing. Love the details. They are made of porcelain and they are just so elegant looking with gold gild and are delicately hand painted too.  She has little red shoes! Okay, I love shoes, notice these things. She has lovely hand painted features, she's just beautiful and oh, so delicate.  The gent has on a deep blue coat with dark tan trousers, lace cravat and cuffs. So very handsome.


1921-1941 EARLY MADE IN JAPAN ERA ("GOLDEN AGE")

The U.S. Customs Bureau ruled that "Nippon" was no longer an acceptable synonym. As of August 1, 1921 all goods were supposed to be backstamped "Japan"  Technically, the Made in Japan Era began when Nippon era ended in 1921, but it really was not that precise. At some point the U.S. Customs Bureau may have required that the words," MADE IN" be added to the backstamps, but this was not always done. Unmarked pieces sometimes slipped through Customs, but most of the ceramics from 1921 to 1941 are marked either "JAPAN" or "MADE IN JAPAN" . Sometimes all pieces in a set are not backstamped. The profit margin on ceramics was slim, and a factory could save a little labor cost by not marking every piece in a set. If pieces in a set have different backstamps, it is because there often was not room for MADE IN JAPAN" or a company logo, so they just used "Japan" on some of the smaller pieces. Early Made in Japan pieces, especially Art Deco and lustres, have come into their own and are very collectible.

Note: There was an embargo on Japanese imports during World War II. No new shipments of Japanese ceramic were imported from 1941 until the end of the war. Pieces already in America continued to sell, It took nearly two years for the first Japanese ceramics to reach America after the war ended.

History-of-Made-in-Japan-Ceramics

Oh wait!!!

Oh these two! They were just so sad. Look at those faces,  just pitiful.
They can pout, have that down pat!
They are just so adorable and I just hated to disappoint them.
They know me, I'm a sap!
Hope my little figurines brighten up your day!



Join me at Kim's for 
Wow Us Wednesday~

18 comments:

  1. Love the dancers and the pouters:) I have a thing for figurines too! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like those top 2 dancers - very joyful and carefree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really must ask my sister where all of my mothers tchotchkes ended up. I seem to recall a set like the little boy and girl you have.

    Beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always pick up pieces that say Japan or Occupied Japan. Thank you for your sweet comment about the storm my friend, olive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute...Nice that you have them still...or still have them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard some of this about pieces made in Japan before and after the war. I love your cute little dancers and the last two look very familiar...I wonder if my mother or one of my aunts had it.

    Hope you are off to a great week!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! I'm always looking for items Made in Japan and I'm trying to learn what means what! lol Those last 2 win my heart! AAAAhhhhh! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting about the stamping of porcelain from Japan. How wonderful that you have these beautiful pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nancy, thank you for your visit and it is great to find you also! The figurines, especially the pouters would steal anyone's heart! N.xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those two little tots are adorable! Thanks for the lesson on the markings. That's something I've been meaning to look into!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What sweet pairs of figurines! I love the lady and gent. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I know you will love the Lo Mein recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Nancy! Oh, I love your sweet couple. I love how they are really getting down to dancing too! :) I have a few of these figurines and love them. Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting post, Nancy! And such sweet figurines. Love the heavy glaze look. Thank you for stopping in at Cranberry Morning. I hope you have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog is so pretty. Question...What does Unoccupied Japan? Is it older? Have a tea cup with this on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How interesting!! Thank you for the lesson. I love read shoes too and the two pouty kids are adorable!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nancy, this was very interesting. Your little boy and girl figurines are adorable! I would have also fallen for them! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!
Nancy